Bartram's Garden

Updated
1 Dec 2016

bartrams-garden-site-stewardship-plan-2010-01.jpg

Image courtesy of Bartram's Garden.

Bartram's Garden was the home of John Bartram (1699–1777), a Quaker farmer whose lifelong fascination with botany made his estate a hub of international plant knowledge in the 18th century. Today the 45-acre garden is a National Historic Landmark on the banks of the Schuylkill River. The site encompasses the 1728 John Bartram House and farm buildings, a 12-acre historic garden, a 15-acre meadow reclaimed from a former concrete factory, a recreational trail and public dock, community farm, orchard, and food resource center, plant nursery, and the only tidal wetlands on the lower Schuylkill River. In 2010, the Center provided support for Bartram's Garden to initiate a dialogue with its neighbors about how the site might respond to their needs, a process that continues today. Bartram's Garden also hired a nursery manager in 2011, to lead volunteer and public programs designed to connect meaningfully with members and visitors.